Admission deadlines and requirements
We welcome both full and part-time students to apply to our programs. Applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Fall 2021 applications are due March 1, 2021.
- To apply, applicants should have a minimum undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale; or 3.0 in the last 60 semester hour credits (based upon transcripts provided to the Graduate School) from an accredited college of university.
- If you want to register for classes and you have been out of the Rehabilitation Counseling or Professional Counseling Program for one year or more, you must reapply to the program. You will need to submit all new materials to the Graduate Admission's Office.
- Complete the online application through the graduate school website including the request for instate tuition rates if applicable. eServices/VCU Self Service Production System
- VCU Graduate School
- Students applying to the Master's Program should use the major of Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling
- Students applying to the Post Master's Certificate Program should use the major of Professional Counseling
- Students who are applying as Distance Learning Students should indicate under the special program text: Rehab Distance Learning.
All remaining application materials should be sent together as a complete package IN ONE ENVELOPE TO THE GRADUATE ADMISSIONS OFFICE. DO NOT SEND INDIVIDUAL ITEMS.
- Professional statement regarding why you are applying to the Rehabilitation Counseling Program, relevant and clear statements of your goals for graduate study and your career, and a statement of previous work or volunteer experience.
- Official Transcripts from ALL schools attended including undergraduate and graduate transcripts; also include any community college or dual enrollment courses where you received college credit.
- Three positive letters of reference from professors or employers
- Results of satisfactory performance on either the Graduate Record Examination or the Miller Analogies Test.
"Applicants who have already earned another graduate degree may request a waiver of the requirement to submit GRE or MAT scores if no events have happened since receipt of that degree that might interfere with the applicant's ability to successfully complete another graduate degree."
Note: Do not apply for admissions until you have taken the GRE or the MAT.
As part of the admissions review process, applicants may be asked to personally interview with rehabilitation counseling faculty members, either in person or by telephone.
A complete set of application materials is available on the Graduate School Web site.
A maximum of 12 hours of graduate credit may be transferred from another VCU graduate program or outside institution if not applied previously to another degree. Transfer credits must carry a grade of "B" or higher from an accredited institution. Transfer credits earned as a nondegree-seeking graduate student are limited to six semester hours of credit. Credits earned as deficiency hours or to demonstrate the ability to compete at the graduate level, though transferable, may not be applied to the 48-credit program of study.
For degree requirements, a sample of a full-time program of study, specializations, examination requirements for graduation and time limits for the completion of the degree, visit the rehabilitation counseling section in the online Graduate Programs Bulletin.