- To provide students with educational experiences that facilitate the development of knowledge, skills and values necessary to practice as a licensed professional counselor and certified rehabilitation counselor
- To provide students with learning opportunities that foster culturally responsive and ethical counseling practices
- To provide students with clinical training environments that prepare them to work in a variety of counseling settings
- To provide an inclusive education that focuses on the intersections of people's identities
- To interweave a mental health and disability focus into all course work
Student Learning Outcomes as approved by VCU, SCHEV
- Develop a professional counseling identity, and demonstrate ability to function ethically and effectively within settings that offer counseling, advocacy, and related services to diverse populations.
- Identify a range of counseling theories and skills applicable in a pluralistic society with individuals, groups, couples and families, and demonstrate the ability to apply this knowledge in a therapeutic manner to promote change and growth.
- Demonstrate respect for the impact of social and cultural factors on human behavior and the role of individual differences in establishing and working toward counseling objectives.
- Identify and apply the stages of development throughout the lifespan, including developmental goals, when working with individuals, regardless of disability or other impairing conditions.
- Identify and apply career development theory and tools.
- Use case management techniques and describe the range of community resources available.
- Use appropriate assessment techniques when working with individuals and utilize relevant information within the counseling process.
- Read and evaluate professional research literature and incorporate such information into their professional development.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective professional counselor through supervised practicum and Internship experiences.
Clinical Rehabilitation Concentration Outcomes
- Students in the clinical rehabilitation counseling track will participate in clinical experiences focused on providing a variety of counseling services with clients that include people with disabilities and/or chronic illness. Students will perform a wide range of therapeutic services among diverse client populations.
Clinical Mental Health Concentration Outcomes
- Students in the clinical mental health counseling track will participate in clinical experiences focused on providing a variety of counseling services that address mental health and emotional well-being. Students will perform a wide range of therapeutic services among diverse client populations.